Monday, January 16, 2012

Its Baaaccckkkk....

So it turns out that instead of Seasonal Affective Disorder, the Stewartluenza of the Holiday season has re-reared its ugly head.

In the past couple of weeks, I have made....

Oatmeal Maple Buttercream Whoopie Pies....though they got eaten too quickly to take photos of once they were actually pies.

Flourless Whiskey Chocolate Cake with Cinnamon Frosting....in Jars. For the record, I will probably only be making cooked frosting from now on. It was so easy and tasted better than the buttercreams I've tried (and failed) to make. And holy cow! Baking in jars is fantastic for camping trips!





And a whole bunch of persimmon flavored things.

My coworker gave me a bag of theses puppies last week and I have been trying to come up with ways to use them up. I hate to waste fruit and vegetables; unfortunately it happens a lot since I am the only eater of fruits and vegetables in my house. Well, the only eater who isn't begging during dinner or stealing from the grocery bag.

The first persimmon thing...and my first attempt at such a baked good....persimmon scones from the Cute Little Shop Girl.

I added a bit too much milk, but this did not stop them from being completely consumed within 24 hours of baking.  There will be more scones in the future, though perhaps not such a large batch.


Then I tried my hand at...also a first attempt at such a baked good...a persimmon apple tart. I've never made a tart, but since I just bought myself a tart pan, I thought it would be a good time to try.
I sort of cobbled the recipe together from my standard apple pie with streusel topping. The crust was easy peasy (butter, sugar, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, milk)  and tastes a bit like a cookie. I have three mini crusts left that will be a special treat for a sweet someone later in the week.

Then I made some persimmon crisps, topped with cinnamon from the Kitchn.
They were okay, and certainly did not last very long...and clearly I should quit my day job to become a food photographer.

To round out the weekend of persimmons, I made persimmon chutneyNutritionElla's blog to put on top of garlic studded pork tenderloin.

I am still up in the air which was the best of the dishes, and if I get some more persimmons this week, I have about 15 more recipes to try. If I do make more persimmon-themed foods, I am going to have to half all of those recipes. Though I have some help with the consumption (and dish-washing, taste-testing, and general flattery of the cook), I cannot possibly eat this many baked goods in a week. Despite having a mouth full of sweet teeth, I am still trying to maintain a girlish figure and avoid overdoing it too much. I was terribly upset to read this about Paula Deen while I was mid-pie making.

To that end, I am experimenting with recipes from a few places specifically dedicated to making less-than-army-size portions of desserts. Small scale dessert recipes is a novel concept for a gal with Oklahoma blood. Desserts for two? You mean one for me and one for you, or two for me and I just tell you about it?

In between all of this baking, I did manage to get in some climbing, a run, and a hike...perhaps it will all equal out?
Ellie doesn't care. She seems to still be looking for persimmons to eat.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Sounds like I need to visit to help with some of those desserts. (eating them...that is) I would really love to try one of those oatmeal maple whoopie pies! Sounds yummy! Mom