Saturday, October 8, 2011

Lucky Me.

Ellie and I went east to look west. Hike a little. Think a lot. This is supposed to be a panoramic view that Ellie ran through.

I was told today that I have no personality, which makes me both pathetic and easily rolled-over. And boring. And that I never express my own opinion. I wished the best of luck to this person and their Karma, an opinion I came up with all by my silly self. I added a smiley face to jazz up my response. While I understand where this person was coming from - well not really, since I don't speak crazy psychopath - I have to say that lucky for me - and I would like to think lucky for anyone who knows me from then and now - I'm not the same person I was 10 years ago.

Broken hearts, failed relationships, grey hair, and a Master's Degree make me a little less likely to go down without an Annie Oakley meets Belle Starr style showdown. Life lessons with just a touch of bitters have been part of the recipe for Ashley2011.

But that doesn't mean I am going to stop being a nice person because someone 10 years ago thought they could take advantage of that. Or that someone right now has something against me, unfounded or not. I've been taught that you treat people the way you want to be treated. Friends and enemies alike. Frenemies especially. If I ever have kids, this is a lesson I won't forget to teach them over and over again.

How hard is that for people to understand?



If the lights draw you in
And the dark can take you down
Then love can mend your heart
But only if you’re lucky now

No comments: