Sunday, October 23, 2011

C'est la vie

My incredibly awesome week ended with a dead battery and four stupidly low tires after my 5th 10 hour day in a row.

But.

I got to spend all of Friday with an old friend (and a couple of new ones!) from my days with the Park Service.
We toured a really amazing State Park and saw some incredible archaeology that I have only seen in books.
This was followed by an impromptu dinner at my neighbor's house with another neighbor. There was much consumption of fermented grape juice while sitting down. Which is, by the way, a terribly bad idea when you've done a lot of walking during the day and not eaten more than a salad and some pizza.
Good idea or bad idea, I now have two new friends and am only a little sorry about spending most of Saturday in the fetal position.

Saturday afternoon I helped my new friend JK make pomegranate jelly. I have not done any canning in a while, and to be honest, I am not sure if I have ever handled that many pomegranates in my entire life. My hands are purpley, but I think these beautiful jars of deliciousness are totally worth it. Be nice and I will share.
Today was quite a lot of fun. It started with morning coffee with yet ANOTHER new friend. Followed by a little bit of this with one friend:
That ended up with a need for all of these:
That's 7! There were 7 MORE NEW FRIENDS in my house this weekend! In my house! People! Ellie was beside herself with pure joy at having so many people want to hang out with her.

Maybe I am a little too.

I hope you are about to cue up the world's tiniest violin playing the world's saddest song, but I would just like to reiterate how lonely the end of a relationship can be. Especially when you finally get to the point where you are ready for life to get better. For New Life to really begin.

Making new friends in a new place is hard enough as it is. Making new friends in a new place when you are trying to start a New Life with 200,000 pounds of emotional baggage is even harder.

I am not sure why this weekend turned out to be a huge leap in the right direction for me.

Maybe saying "yes" had something to do with it.

Or maybe I just needed it.

All of us lonely.
It ain't a sin
To want something better
Than the shape we're in.

1 comment:

Tucsonlizzie said...

Yay for friends!!!!!!!