Monday, September 12, 2011

Virgo is as Virgo Does

I would like to say that I am not a superstitious person. That I don't believe in ghosts, juju, or Karma. That I don't look for signs in everything, that I don't make wishes on shooting stars or when I blow out birthday candles or find a penny on the ground. I would like to say that I don't sing when I go outside to scare away the bogie man or that I can't sense the "specialness" of a place when I am outside exploring the desert or the mountains.

I would like to say that I don't have a Magic 8 Ball that I reshake when I don't get the answer I want. I would like not to have to confess that I read my horoscope whenever I see it. Today, for example, "Other people can't handle the stress of the day's activities, so try not to pile on them with unnecessary criticism. You should be able to get your point across gently -- or better yet, another day." Not that I am going to use this to guide my day or interactions, but actually maybe that's good advice for today.

The point that I am trying to make is that I accept fully that I am, proudly, a Virgo. I am not on the cusp between Leo and Libra, making me kind of confused. I am smack in the middle. And if you don't believe me, spend a few days with me after you read this little snippet about Virgos. If you are still not convinced, try this one.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I think when you share a womb with someone, somewhere along the gestation process, not all of those traits readily attributed to a "Virgo" can be transferred to both parties involved.

Case in point.
Here is the inside of my sister's house.
Though we were crafting, note the special basket for paper crafts. Note the muffin papers specifically to hold the glitter. It is spotless. It is tidy. There is order in the apparent chaos. Her furniture matches. M.a.t.c.h.e.s.

Here is the current state of things in my house.

Were I my sister, or at least the possessor of the Virgo tendency toward tidiness, this whole moving thing would be a lot less of a messy process. In my house, clearly, shoes belong on the coffee table, (clean) toilet paper in the dining room, and packing peanuts should just stay on the floor until the vacuum cleaner can be located. It is a sad state of affairs really. I will be lucky when I get all of these boxes in to the new house if I can remember what is in them since my markers are nowhere to be found. They've been missing since June. I did find some missing knitting needles in the pencil cup where markers should have been, so that's a bonus!

At least I can say I got some of those other Virgo tendencies...like overanalysis. Attention to detail where attention to detail is not needed. Steadfastness, sensibility in relationships (no laughing, its true) and my personal favorite...hypochondria!

The real question is: which of the traits did I get that Sister did not?

No comments: