Monday, April 4, 2011

Oh right.

This evening I pep-talked myself into putting on my running shoes, loading up Ellie - today the consumer of an entire package of Werther's Originals hard candies (paper included), and going for a run out in the desert.

Imagine you are me. Running at a steady pace. Perhaps 1/4 to a 1/2 mile into the run. Listening to this song.



Feeling fantastic and proud of myself for getting outside. Thinking about how great it is that my fish are still alive. Thinking about databases for work. Waiting for Ellie to catch up because she stopped a ways back to sniff the wildflowers.

And suddenly! I ran smack into this!
Ok. Not really.

But it was one of them...like this....ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss...............


stretched out in the middle of the ATV track I was running up. He rattled and hissed and moved a bunch and I screamed like a Justin Bieber fan who just saw Justin Bieber with a rattlesnake and sprinted alllll the way back to my car.

For all I know, he could have been inviting me to tea, or wanting me to scratch him behind his ears. Kinda like this little cutie patootie.

Unfortunately, I suspect that he may have started waving this when I ran the other direction to invite me to his kind of Tea Party.

Whatever he wanted from me, I guess it is about time I remember that I did indeed move back to the desert and I should probably start watching where I step. Or run. Or tread.

Believe me, I prefer to meet this kind of snake in this part of the Indian Wells Valley over the other any old day.

1 comment:

Gavin said...

Wait, did you just make the suggestion that rattlesnakes as a species are republicans? I guess snakes by nature have to be conservative, especially snakes in the desert. But tea party conservatives? That's just mean. To snakes I mean, mean to call a rattlesnake a teabagger.

Gavin