Monday, March 28, 2011

The Scenic Route

Meeting season in the field of archaeology means a lot of road time for me. (Start the song at the bottom of the post!)

Today's road trip took me on a scenic tour along the eastern front of the Sierra Nevada...part of which I have seen before, but much of which I have never experienced. It was a beautiful trip. Snow-capped peaks overlooking snow-filled valleys. Tall trees surrounding rushing creeks. The sun was bright in a cloudless sky. I love this part of California. The more I explore it, the more I want to be here for a good long while.

Taking the scenic route today was not without adventure, however. Right around the time I tried to cross the Range of Light, I realized I did not have a map, directions, nor had I listened completely to the verbal directions I had been given. Chaos ensued, perhaps a little panic. I broke down and bought myself a map, which helped things considerably...as did a few helpful and timely text messages and a burrito. I made it to my hotel safe and sound, though I required a glass of wine to help get my arms out of the 10 and 2 position. City driving is scary.

My 11 hours in the car gave me plenty of time to ponder what lessons about life can be learned by taking the scenic route on a road trip. So here they are.

1. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes. Cute ones. But comfortable ones.
2. Bring plenty of snacks. You'll definitely get hungry and if you drink too much coffee before you start, you'll have the shakes. I recommend burritos and licorice. But not for every meal.
3. Have your camera easily accessible. You'll never know when you want to photo document the journey. The bottom of your bag is not usually the best place for it.
4. Point yourself in the direction you'd like to end up, and eventually you'll get there. There's nothing wrong with taking your time...just try not to get lost along the way.
5. It is perfectly okay to ask for directions. Especially from your loved ones. But strangers, such as you might find at a gas station, may not be the best resources.
6. If you don't have a travel partner, that's okay. A well charged iPod and very good music will help.
7. When you get to your final destination, tell the ones who need to know that you love them and thank them for their help and guidance. Then eat cake.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A spot helps, too. Mine is named Spike and he toured the county with me today. The phone stayed home... Spike is spending the night on my desk... I hope he has a clear view of the sky so he can do his job. Gotta love blonde days!