Saturday, March 5, 2011

It just takes some time...

I suppose now is as good a time as any to announce....drum roll please....

I'm running a marathon.

I know you were hoping for something a little more...substantial. Juicy. Scandalous.

But there it is.

I've been putting off telling you about this, readers, because it is a huge commitment I was not sure I was ready to jump into just yet. It is not for the light of heart. It is not for the extremely busy and overworked. It is obviously not for the out of shape.

It is also not for the connoisseur of cereal for dinner.

I, unfortunately, am all of those things. But yet.

This isn't my first rodeo. I've done two half-marathons before...that technically equals one, but every time I say that to someone, it sounds sort of sad and like I am making excuses for not pushing myself a little harder.

Why am I doing this, you ask?

First. I absolutely wanted to run a marathon before my next 29th birthday. It is coming up in 6 months, actually, which means I better get the lead out of my butt.

Second. Running and fitness go hand and hand. Fitness and self esteem, while not always a match, compliment each other. I could use a self esteem boost.

Third. Running makes me go outside, where I can center myself. Shed the stress of the day. Work out my tensions and frustrations. Get away from my cell phone and my computer and breathe some fresh air. Yes, as a field-going archaeologist, that last part happens quite a bit. But I am working on the clock, concentrating on the task at hand, and forgetting to look at the scenery sometimes.

I ran my first half marathon during my last Fall semester of college. I had a summer that was good in many ways, but heartbreaking and scarring in so many others. I put on my shoes one day, hit the pavement, and didn't stop until I crossed two different finish lines. Last Spring, I put my shoes on to help me work through the heartbreak of a relationship ending. I peaked at an 18 mile run one day, the furthest I had ever pushed myself. Running helped me move forward. Physically. Mentally. Emotionally. Spiritually.

I'm putting on my shoes this Spring because I am ready. I am ready to stop being sad. Angry. Wounded. Unfocused. Unbalanced. A half person in danger of sinking into cynicism where hope used to be.

As the song below says...

It just takes some time
Little girl you're in the middle of the ride
Everything, everything will be just fine
Everything, everything will be alright, alright

So here I go.

Slow and steady. But moving forward.

3 comments:

windy said...

Big news! I am sure you will do great and the training will be a good process for you. Good for you to take matters kin your own hands. I could use a shot of discipline like this myself.

Anonymous said...

Proud of you! What a commitment! I know healing takes time but you're a strong one and I know you'll be ok!

Kathy Simons

amandab said...

Yay, Ashley! You can do it! ;)