Monday, January 17, 2011

Blue Monday...

I saw on one of my favorite blogs today that, in addition to being Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Day, this is supposedly Blue Monday, the most depressing day of the year. I had to look it up courtesy of Wikipedia, which gave me this interesting equation:

\frac{[W + D-d] T^Q}{M N_a}

where weather (W), debt (d), time since Christmas (T), time since failing our new year’s resolutions (Q), low motivational levels (M) and the feeling of a need to take action (Na). I think the D is supposed to be ability to repay debt.

Interestingly, it also says that next Monday, January 24th, is actually the most depressing day of the year. Further Googling led me to this website about how to Beat Blue Monday...next Monday.

As I have had a very good, sunny, productive, and encouraging week (albeit another week of an irritating cold), topped off by an extra day off of work spent reading, talking to a very dear and very missed friend, napping, and eating chocolate and licorice from Trader Joe's, I was getting a little worried about missing the boat of depression today.

Actually, perhaps I should call it a "cruise ship of depression" since everyone is supposed to be on it together on the same day.

The blog I referenced above says that "happiness is a conscious choice." I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. I wouldn't be where I am right now if I had not chosen happiness. Yes, some days are sad. And some days are lonely. And some days my motivation level is so low, getting out of bed is painful. But not every day. There is a bigger picture called Life that is coming in to focus more and more each day.

In this Year of Changes, I think I am going to go ahead and bow out of "Blue Monday" this time around, even if it is still a week away and I have time to change my mind. It seems that when you are already manning your own boat of depression - when you have finally gotten to the point that bailing out the boat doesn't have to happen every moment of every day - joining a collective pity party might be counterproductive.

Besides... while cruise ships can be fun, it is important to remember that they are expensive, cause sea sickness, horrific sunburns, and very bad hangovers.

Been there. Done that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I vote for Sunny Yellow Monday...even if it rains!

Anonymous said...

Daddy said, "Thank you. Sermon note."