Sunday, December 5, 2010

I...wanna rock and roll all night....

Last night I had a dream that I was on a cruise ship and I was the entertainment. I had to get up in front of a room full of people, play my guitar and sing songs that made people happy and cry and dance all at the same time. The problem was I could only remember three chords, forgot all the lyrics, and realized I could only play for one person at a time without having a small panic attack.

I am sure there is some message my subconscious is trying to give me about life...like that I may not actually be a rock star...but when I woke up this morning, all I could think about was being a rock star. And listening to rock and roll music.

So here are a couple of my favorite contemporary rock and roll bands, the White Stripes and Rilo Kiley.

True, Jack White is the lead singer of the White Stripes, but its Meg White, the bad-ass percussionist, who makes all the music entertaining. In my opinion, at least. I put in the video and a popup player so you can hear this particular song. I like the part that says:

"You just keep on repeating all those empty I Love You's...
Until you say you deserve better, I'm gonna lay right into you.
Yeah you don't know what love is, you just do as you're told.
Just like a child at ten might act, but you're far too old."








And then there is Rilo Kiley. The band's lead singer is a woman, Jenny Lewis, who plays guitar and piano and doesn't get nervous in front of crowds like I would. Here is the song that's been stuck in my head for a few weeks.

"I was your silver lining...Hooray, hooray...but now I'm gold."



Just in case that link doesn't work, here is another way to get to the song.

I can only link to the video...Silver Lining Video by Rilo Kiley - Myspace Video

Perhaps instead of the message that I am not a rock star, my subconscious was trying to tell me that I should become one. All it would take is some practice, a voice someone wants to listen to, and perhaps...guitar lessons?

No comments: