Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Vacation, Day 3

And a Merry Christmas to you...

The holiday has been a little low-key at the B Family Homeplace, mostly because we have only partly celebrated. Sister and her husband will be here on Tuesday and we will be having a big dinner and opening our gifts to each other then. The dogs got a head start this morning.

Here is Ellie enjoying her new bed....
And her Dad, Jake, momentarily ignoring his candy cane shaped bone to lick my camera.
I tried to get pictures of Ellie's brother, Yeller, and Mom, Joy, also playing with their new toys, but have you ever tried to take a picture of a Labrador playing? How about three of them? Four?

Anyway...Mom and Dad are doing a great job of feeding me mushy foods that are easy to swallow, like cheese FUNdue for Christmas Eve dinner. (Note the strategic placement of Sister's senior portrait in the upper left corner of this shot.)
Dad was in charge of Christmas Day breakfast, which was, at my request, maple flavored Malt-o-Meal. He is about 20 years out of practice making the staple cereal of my childhood, so he may or may not have exploded it in the microwave. Here is mine, complete with a smile...

and here is Mom's, which is really more of an abstract piece.
After the second explosion, Dad decided just to fix himself cake and milk for breakfast.
After spending most of my day like this:
I was able to muster the energy for steak. I just chewed it a LOT. Plus, I cannot remember the last time I had a steak...where there is a will, there is a way.
We ended our meal with Chocolate Really FUNdue...but it was all eaten up before I got any photos.

All of this coddling and reversion to easily eaten foods (and perhaps some frantic sewing I have been doing in between naps) has been a bit of a trip down memory lane for Mom, who was reminded of a Christmas Eve 24 or 25 years ago when Sister and I decided we could do better than just mere cookies for Santa Claus.

Taking cue from Mom, who was making handmade stockings for each of her 2nd Graders, we decided to "borrow" some fabric scraps and supplies, shut ourselves in our room, and create our own stockings for Santa Claus. I am not sure how it happened, but our projects ended up in Mom's cedar chest rather than at the North Pole where they clearly belong.

So here they are...a first attempt at sewing by the B twins...
Note that the one on the left is probably a discarded stocking from Mom's pile. The Christmas tree and ribbon have been glued on. The one on the right has been completely hand-stitched...see the attention to detail and attempt at straight lines?

If I had to guess who made which of the stockings, I would say that Sister made the white one. She is still a fan of glue and glitter (seen here)
and it just seems fitting that she would forgo the stitching for the glue even when she was 4 or 5. I, on the other hand, cannot cut straight lines or follow patterns to this day, which would mean the red one with the crooked stitches and more "free form" approach to the body of the stocking is probably mine.

Mom says her favorite part of that year is that we didn't stop at Santa...no! Because everyone knows that the really hard work is done back at the North Pole by Mrs. Claus who gets the shaft where credit for Christmas cheer is concerned, we decided to make her aprons.

And here they are...
You have to use your imagination a little bit because for all intents and purposes, there are no actual strings or methods of attaching these aprons to your body, but I am certain there was a letter of explanation along with them. The one on the right is completely glued, while the one on the left has had the pockets sewn on by machine. Mom and Dad wondered who would have helped with the sewing - was it a Grandmother? Or did one of us have a go at the machine? Could this craft project have been the cause of Mom's sewing machine malfunction immediately (and permanently) afterward? Again, I am going to guess that the one that has been glued (on the right) was made by Sister. But I am also making that speculation because the one that sort of looks like a hostess apron seen here...
reminds me of one or two craft projects I have produced in the last few years...

The mystery remains which twin made which apron or which stocking when we were so little. Mom never saw who did what, and I really would not have remembered making these gems if Mom didn't have a cedar chest full of treasures from my childhood (and hers). Perhaps parental encouragement for little projects like these instilled in us the streak of creativity Sister and I sometimes channel. So thanks, Mom and Dad.

And perhaps, now I know who to blame for my embarrassing amount of fabric and crafting supplies stashed in every possible space that I occupy... in my house, in my car, and and even in my purse!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The most baffling of all is that even sewing a button on can lead to uncontrollable hulk-like anger and excessive tears for me. I'm really glad you didn't inherit that quality.

Anonymous said...

Have you looked into those plastic fasteners that put price tags on clothes? They make tiny ones, too. Could work well for buttons...