Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Vacation, Day 1

My first gift of Christmas arrived Tuesday night, early Wednesday morning in the form of a fever, spotty throat, and swollen left tonsil. I spent all of Wednesday curled up in bed, alternating between sleeping, sleeping through movies and NPR stories, and generally feeling crappy. I broke one of my rules of going to the doctor immediately (since it is the holidays and it is best to nip these things in the bud), where a doctor still in diapers told me I had tonsillitis. Or maybe strep throat. So he gave me a prescription for Amoxicillin for the infection and Prednisone for the swelling. This is all well and good, but I felt too crappy to wait in line for the prescriptions to be filled. So really, it was kind of a waste of time. I packed for my 11 day trip Home with a fever...there is a good chance I have 12 pairs of underwear and no pants, only high heels, and one t-shirt. We'll see when I try to get dressed tomorrow.

Today, Ellie and I got up and got ourselves loaded into the vehicle, sans food for Ellie, and drove the four hours home. Ellie was pretty stoked, even if she will starve to death for lack of kibble.Don't worry, Dad got me to the pharmacy at our local supermarket so I have started my regime of antibiotics. Mom got me ensconced on the couch with a blanket in view of the tree so I can get a little Christmas cheer.
And she made me two pots of soup!
Chicken with stars....
And vegetable beef!
I am feeling a little better, especially after I made myself a hot toddy. Which, apparently should have hot water in it too, rather than just straight up whiskey. I am suddenly able to swallow after my first drink of this, so maybe I'll forgo the hot water and see what happens. Modern medicine? Or a good ol' fashioned home remedy? I'll let you know in the morning.
So here I am, ready for a break, a little bit of coddling, and hopefully a lot of fishing. I really hope I have everything I needed from RC to make this holiday special and to complete the projects I have not quite completed for Miss Amy Gail. Actually, there is a good chance I have only wrapping paper and no gifts...except, of course, for the gift of illness. You are welcome, Mom and Dad.

No comments: