Monday, November 1, 2010

Auf wiedersehen, adieu, October

I am not sorry to see you go.

We had some good times. Some highlights. A couple of them. At least two dozen moments of unapologetic bliss that reminded me I am still breathing. Some beautiful hikes. Some visits from people who like me just the way I am. You lifted my spirits a little.

But you also brought me some really dark days. Too many days and nights of couch wallowing. Ice cream binging. Pep talks that were actually un-pep talks. You sometimes made me feel like I was incapable of moving forward. You were the anti-cheerleader, October. "Heeyyy batter batter! Swing and miss!" you yelled. You made me doubt me because you doubted me. Sometimes you just sulked in the corner and taunted me with your never-ending...Octoberness.

But now, you gotta hit the road. Make room for November. November and I have a lot more in common anyway. We were made for each other really, and not just because we both like to decorate with orange and brown. November and I like solitude, but November and I have room in our companionship for friends. The more the merrier, we like to say. Sure, we'll have some couch days. Some ice cream binging. But November is different. November is FUN couch days and ice cream binging. November is about being creative. November is pumpkin pie and apple cider and crisp mornings and frosty nights. Remember? We talked about that already with September. November makes me feel patient with myself because November is patient with me. November knows that December might be kind of hard, with those holidays and all, but November will wrap me in blankets of sepia sunsets and amber mornings and remind me that life is beautiful.

And seriously, October. You left me with a bowl full of Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish when you know how much I love my dark chocolate. Not cool, October. Not cool.

1 comment:

amandab said...

Take that, October!

Yay, orange and brown! Apples and pumpkins! Baking and big plans! Yay, November!


:)