Sunday, October 17, 2010

Reunited and it feels so...

exhausting.

I am finally home from a weekend FULL of reunion festivities. The event and all the behind-the-scenes organizing made it feel just like ten years ago and every other high school event I ever had the pleasure of putting together. Thank goodness for friends like Erica and Dave who helped keep the sanity and spirits up...and for Leo who said "why yes, your life is sort of COMPLICATED right now and the last thing you really want to do is plan a high school reunion. Here, let me make some calls." Go Team Reunion...And of course, the Parents, who (as with every high school event I ever had the pleasure of putting together), came to the rescue with event permits, ice chests, errands, and storage. And who didn't give me a curfew and even got out of bed to let me in the house at 2 AM when I realized I forgot my keys AND DIDN'T GROUND ME!!!
So what did the LHHS Class of 2000 Reunion weekend entail?

Despite some serious contemplation over the possibility of impressing people with our phenomenal dancing skills, reinterpreted from the best reunion film ever...


....we all met at the Homecoming Football Game, where all of the high school students looked at us like the adults we were pretending to be and used phrases like "Excuse me, Sir, Ma'am" and who may or may not have been the children we babysat in high school to pay for prom dresses...
Here is a terribly blurry picture of the people who stuck around the game long enough to be in a picture....
Late Friday night was full of reminiscing, and for the goody-goodies (Me, Jenny, and Erica) you see in this throw-back photo...
...Friday was also for shocking people with our more grown-up sensibilities. In other words, we all showed up at a bar! Together!We did our best to continue the tradition of awkward group poses...And making sure we kept ourselves occupied with the task at hand, whether that be building gingerbread houses...
Or examining Desert Martinis....Saturday was the day of the BIG EVENTS, which included a family picnic at the City Beach. We had a good turnout (maybe 50ish people throughout the day). I should mention we had enough food to feed a small army of 200 people.
It was wonderful to meet the kids of so many of my classmates, though I missed meeting C's little S most of all!

We arranged for a boat to show up at the beach and take people for rides through the Channel and around the island. Since the picnic was for families, the beverages allowed on the beach were strictly kid-friendly. I was actually surprised at the number of adults who drank Capri Suns like they were going out of style. I guess we don't really grow up, do we?
Boat...
Ride...
Channel...Saturday evening was the Finale...a trip to this waterfront night club for further reuniting. And more food. Enough food to feed 50 people. And of course, 200 showed up to that.I made a ridiculous toast, but it allowed someone to get a good photo of about 1/3 of the people there.
A few more then and nows....
Observe the makings of a really high class club we are hanging out in...
I believe our glasses have improved....kind of...ask us our opinion again in 10 years.
Our footwear has improved tremendously. Worth taking pictures of, actually. 90s shoes were terrible, weren't they? (As observed in the shot below this one)

E- most of our old photos are ham-tastic. What happened to us???All in all, it was a nice weekend. I missed seeing some people, and wish that I had more time to chat with a few more of the folks who were there. I also wish that the upper-classmen who we spent nearly all of our time with had been around this weekend. What a happy group of people!
Oh, and one more thing. Sister is notably missing from all of our reunion shots because she had to work.
The Fab Four missed her terribly. Though I missed her the most. Sister - your hair is WAAY better these days. Though our tans were WAAY better back then.

2 comments:

C said...

I hate that I missed it! Looks like you did an amazing job putting it on, so fun! Hopefully we'll all be at the next one...seems so far away, but so did this one! Love the old pictures, too! Awwww!

Jenny said...

This was amazing!! All the throwback pics and everything... Very nicely done.