Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Furry One

Dear Ellie -
I realize sometimes I suck. I realize that nearly every weekend since we moved from that place we used to call home, I have taken you somewhere fun to play. I realize that you are a lab, and you have energy and enthusiasm, and needs - the most important of which are love, attention, and exercise. I know that sometimes I come home from work in the middle of the afternoon to eat lunch and let you outside to pee and then I have to leave again and you have to go back to sleeping on the couch and waiting for me to return. Sometimes when I come back home, I have had bad days and the only energy I can muster is to pet you, feed you, and then go to bed. Which I understand is disappointing when you had your hopes up for something more fun.

It won't always be like that. But sometimes it will be. And I am sorry.

So in the meantime, Little Furry One. Please don't punish me for my inattention. Please. I understand that those beef flavored pills are delicious, but you are only allowed 2 a day...not 20. And I am not really sure what is so great about my underwear, but if you could try not to eat the giant field underwear - the ones intended to be kind of comfortable and therefore have more material than most other pairs I own - I think we might get through this transition period okay.

Yes, swallowing 5 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide is difficult, and no one wants to do it, but I need you to get sick so you will not have a heart attack because those beef flavored pills raise your blood pressure. Yes, spending two nights in Death Valley and not getting to go outside for a hike because I was distracted by an unexpected outflow of emotion and worry and left your leash and collar at home on Thursday does stink a whole lot.

But...just as soon as I come back from the office, we'll go to the park. You can chase the ball until you are tired and won't let it go. Then we can come home and sit on the couch while I try to concentrate on finishing this report. And if I get enough done, and it isn't raining tomorrow, I will take you back to Sagebrush Flat and we can hike to the top of the hill this time.

You are a sweet girl and I like having you around. And I am not just saying that because you are my only friend in this town. Let's call a truce and reach an understanding from here on out. Okay?

Love,
me

No comments: