Monday, September 1, 2008

Well, Hello There, Old Friend.

Its been a long time since I wrote a blog and I have absolutely no excuse. Ok. Maybe a little bit of an excuse....

This is my first weekend at home in....two weeks? Does that sound right? As per my MO for blogs this summer, I better write a long one to get you up to speed.

The weekend of August 15th:
We took a tiny trip to the Black Hills. The trip served three major purposes.
1. To spend one last day with Jerry before he had to go back to Oklahoma. R and Jerry drove the 4 hours in his car, while I followed in my car, listening to my music and talking on the phone whenever I had service.

2. To celebrate R and I's 3rd Anniversary, since our anniversary landed in the middle of the week, and we had company. R and I did some shopping (!!!) in the afternoon, stayed at a really fancy historic hotel called the Alex Johnson, and spent the evening hanging out at the pubs in the historic district. Here are a few pictures from the evening. If you look carefully, you'll see my new haircut that I was scolded about for not showing you earlier!
And my new favorite of R.3. To see Lizzie and her husband, who happened to be in the Black Hills area for their Geojourney trip! We got to spend the whole day Sunday driving around the Spearfish-Rushmore-Deadwood-Sturgis-Rapid City area. Ironically, R had just done the whole thing with Jerry the week before. He was tour guide for the day. Here we all are in Spearfish Canyon, on the way to Mt. Rushmore.And here we are as the Presidents of the United States. The statue ones, not the band or the real ones. Which picture do you think is the best?

And one of me and Lizzie hanging out in someone else's tipi. That's very rude, so I've heard.And a very original picture of R attempting to pick Washington's nose, but missing entirely and just tickling his chin.Don't worry, I showed him the right way to do it.
We then went to this awesome maze outside of Rapid City. It took Lizzie and I about 45 minutes to complete it, but the boys got REALLY lost and took about an hour and 15 minutes. There was no cheese or beer at the end, which might explain why it took them FOREVER.
The very next day back in Miles City, R and I participated in the 1st Annual Golf Scramble for our office. We had a lot of fun, especially because we got to play on the same team.
The Weekend of August 22nd was extremely busy. It started with the Eastern Montana Fair. I entered several items: An Apron, A Purse, A Knitted Scarf, A Knitted Hat for Me, and A Knitted Hat for my niece Sophie. Here is everything ready to go to the fair.
Judging took place on Thursday and Friday. I won $11 dollars! Three 2nd places and one 1st place. The first place came with a ribbon - Honorable Mention for the entire category! R and I went to the rodeo on Friday night. It was our first one, and pretty exciting. I have only seen bull riding on television. It wasn't terribly impressive, since all but one of the riders made it for 8 seconds. We rode the ferris wheel afterward. Can you believe it cost 8 bucks to ride? At least we got a nice picture.On Saturday and Sunday, I went the opposite direction from the weekend before to meet up with Lizzie again. This time she was outside of Yellowstone in Gardiner, Montana. We camped on Saturday, and then spent the day in Bozeman on Sunday. Lizzie helped me pick some light fixtures for the house, which will be the topic of another blog. It was really great to see her again, but I am a little sad that I won't get to see her again until November...or so. Sad faces all around.

This weekend, Labor Day...
We've been up to a whole lot of nothing. And by nothing, I mean working. R started teaching last week and has been working on his lectures. I have actually be writing. We did get to go to a BBQ at some new friends' house, played 2 sets of tennis, and made phone calls for the Obama Campaign (a very unpleasant task in this state). Today I have made bread and blogged. And now you are totally up to speed!

I will leave you with a really great picture of Chris and Gab with our niece, Sophie.

2 comments:

Snigiedigie said...

She finally updates!!!! Congrats on your craft fair stuff! Too Cute!

gabrielle said...

yes!!! a hair picture!!! and some great pictures of your evening out! you look beautiful!

i also like how you played dress up in all the winning items you made!!! cute picture!

can't wait to see more about the house!

xoxo,
-g

ps: thanks for letting sophie make the blog!!! yeah aunt ashley!