And what an adventure it was!
When we first looked at the house, we fell in love with the hardwood floors in the dining room. They were a little worn in, but nothing a little TLC couldn't fix. Our Realtor pointed out that there were probably hardwood floors in the living room as well, but it was covered with a hideous green carpet.
Once we signed over our first born child and all paychecks for the next 30 years, we decided to see what was actually under that carpet (thanks, Linda).
The entire house has the most amazing floors - the living room, the parlor, the stairs, the landing, and the bedrooms! Unfortunately, some genius some years ago decided to GLUE the carpet to the floor in the bedrooms. We haven't pulled that up just yet because it is going to take more work than we are willing to put in just now.
So anyway, last weekend, R decided it was high time we got busy on the downstairs floors. We went to Ace Hardware and rented a sander. The first one was small, and easy for me to use. In flip flops.
Unfortunately, it didn't really do very much. R channeled his inner "Bob the Builder" and went back to Ace for a ginormous drum sander. It took at least 1/8 of an inch off the floor at a time. He was so proud.After much cursing, inhaling of dust, and some really sore muscles, we finally got the floor cleaned and ready for new stain and polyurethane.
Since R didn't have to go to work the next day and was really really motivated, I let him start the staining on Sunday night. The floors in the rest of the house are dark, so we were hoping to make things blend a little better by using a darker stain. Unfortunately, R is a bit of a perfectionist and was unsatisfied with how some parts of the floor turned out. He went back to Ace while I was at work, rented the sander again, and started over. At least he didn't do the whole thing, only the parts he didn't like.
He had sort of a nightmare with the polyurethane part. Apparently dog hair abounds in our house...and dog hair sticks really well to wet surfaces. Suffice to say, I stayed clear of the house while R was finishing the last coat.
Once we finished that, we decided to go ahead and paint the living room. Here is the before and after...
The floors are a little dusty in this one, but I thought you might like to see one of the irises that bloomed in my garden this week.